I stumbled upon this recipe in the Waitrose Kitchen magazine a while back, it originally seemed like an unusual combination of goats’ cheese, chickpeas and aubergine, but by god was it delicious! It is utterly comforting, super quick to make and tastes divine. Although, aubergines aren’t really in season at the moment, I couldn’t help but think back to this recipe especially now that autumn is in full swing, pretty as it is, with golden yellow and orange leaves strewn everywhere. The grey miserable day today just made me think of this light and fresh summer-y food. Its sort of my goodbye to summer and finally accepting that winter is around the corner, so we have warming stews, curries and soups to look forward to now.
I’ve made this recipe a few times and just tweaked a couple of things to my personal taste.
Serves 2 [or 4 as a starter]
Prepare 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 aubergine
- Oil from the tomatoes (or olive oil)
- 100 g English goat’s cheese, chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 tsp mixed herbs (original recipe included oregano or marjoram)
- 120 g sun dried tomatoes
- 100 g fresh tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400 g can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- Small handful of mint leaves
- Small handful of flat leaf parsley
- Heat the grill to high. Slice the aubergines, quite thick as they need to retain their shape
- Brush with oil, season and grill for around 20 mins, remembering to turn halfway!
- Meanwhile, chop the fresh and sun dried tomatoes, mix with lemon zest, juice, herbs (keeping some leaves for decorating), the chickpeas and garlic. Season and mix thoroughly.
- After the aubergines are softened, top each slice with some goats cheese, pop back in the oven for the cheese to melt and plate up!
- Simply, plate some of the chickpeas, top with aubergine and decorate with some of the leftover fresh herbs.
- You can eat this with flat breads if you like, but I always just eat this as it is! Delicious.
If you try making this, do let me know what you think? I absolutely love this recipe so I look forward to your thoughts, new ideas and more!